The best of luck to the Rhode Senior football team, panel and management of Pat Daly manager, Alan Kellaghan and Pauric Dunne selectors and the extended backroom team who play St. Vincent’s of Dublin the current Leinster and All-Ireland club champions in the Leinster Senior Club Final in Sunday in Pairc Tailteann Navan with the throw-in at 2pm. They have prepared very well for the game and here’s hoping for victory on Sunday. As usual a huge crowd will attend the game from the area and indeed from all over the county and the club thank all for their continued and very much appreciated support.
O’Toole’s are organizing a coach for Sunday’s Leinster Final leaving at 11am costing €10 per person. If you want to book a seat please contact Niall 086 384 3776
The Annual General Meeting of Rhode GAA Club will take place on Friday January 9th in Rhode Hall at 8pm sharp. All members and intending members are requested to attend. The meeting was due to take place on Friday the 5th of December but due to the club’s participation in the Leinster Senior Club Final the AGM is now deferred. All attending the meeting will be requested to sign in on arrival with club registrar Ger Noonan and membership for 2015 can be paid on the night and we ask patrons attending to do the same.
James Murphy Club Chairman and Vice-Chairman Seamus Maguire attended the county convention on Tuesday night in O’Connor Park.
Hard luck to the Rhode Under 16 footballers who were beaten by Na Fianna in the Offaly Under 16 League Final on Saturday in Cappincur on a 1-13 to 1-8 score line. It was a very good game of football for the time of year with both sides playing good football. Hard luck to all concerned with the team and the excellent team manager Anthony Murphy.
Very hard luck to the Kilcormac/Killoughey Senior hurling team who gave one of the best displays by an Offaly hurling team in ether club or county when on Sunday they narrowly to the Kilkenny champions Ballyhale Shamrock’s after extra-time on a 0-20 to 1-13 score line. It was a tremendous game of hurling and the Offaly side were very unlucky not to win the game in normal time. Kilcormac/Killoughey can hold their heads up high as they have done their club and county proud.
Hard luck to the Shamrocks hurling team who were well beaten by Bennetsbridge of Kilkenny in the Leinster Junior hurling final in O’Connor Park.
There was no winner of the Rhode GAA Lotto for the week ending 1st of December for a Jackpot of €15,000. The numbers drawn were 9 14 26 27 The club would like to thank all those who supported the draw and thanks to O’Toole’s for the use of their premises and for their help and cooperation. The following matched three numbers and received €50 each
Mark Hynes, Coolcur Rhode
Kevin Cox, Rathcobican Rhode
Anne-Marie Dunne, Priory Lawns Rhode
Laura Geraghty, Ballinabrackey Co. Meath
The Rhode GAA Lotto is the main source of income the club has and now you can play online though our website. The good news is when you play the lotto online you are entitled to free draws, for example pay for seven draws receive the eighth one free, pay for fourteen draws receive two free and so on. In other words, the more you play the more free draws you are entitled to!!
Rhode GAA is currently selling tickets for the GAA National Club Draw. All funds will be retrained by the Club and all prizes are sponsored by Croke Park. The draw will take place on Friday 22nd February. Tickets are €10.00 each, the following are the prizes.
1. Trip with the 2015 All-Stars.
(2 persons. All-Ireland Football Final tickets, All-Stars banquet Tickets, tour & airline tickets & Accommodation)
2. Trip with the 2015 All-Stars (2 persons. All-Ireland Football Final tickets, All-Stars banquet Tickets, tour & airline tickets & Accommodation)
3. Trip to New York.(2 persons. Airline tickets & 3 Nights’ accommodation)
4. Travel voucher to the value of €1500.
5. All-Ireland Hurling & Football Final Corporate Package 2015 (2 persons. Corporate hospitality & 2 nights’ accommodation with 1 evening meal for both weekends)
6. All-Ireland Hurling Final Corporate Package 2015 (2 persons. Corporate hospitality & 2 nights’ accommodation with 1 evening meal)
7. All-Ireland Football Final Corporate Package 2015.(2 persons. Corporate hospitality & 2 nights’ accommodation with 1 evening meal)
8. Shopping voucher to the value of €1000 at a retailer of your choice.
9. Shopping voucher to the value of €1000 at a retailer of your Choice.
10. All-Ireland Hurling & Football Final Package 2015 (2 persons. Premium tickets & Overnight accommodation for both weekends
11. All-Ireland Hurling & Football Final Package 2015 (2 persons. Premium tickets & Overnight accommodation for both weekends)
12. All-Ireland Hurling & Football Final Package 2015. (2 persons. Premium tickets & Overnight accommodation for both weekends)
13. All-Ireland Hurling & Football Final Package 2015 (2 persons. Premium tickets & Overnight accommodation for both weekends)
14. All-Ireland Hurling Final Package 2015 (2 persons. Premium tickets, Overnight accommodation with an evening meal)
15. All-Ireland Football Final Package 2015.(2 persons. Premium tickets, Overnight accommodation with an evening meal
Tickets can be purchased from any of the following
Daybreak Post Office
Dunphy’s Centra Rhode
Doyle’s, Killeen’s, O’Toole’s pubs Rhode
Ryan’s Pharmacy Rhode
Shaz Hair Saloon Rhode
Jimmy’s Chip Shop
The following committee members
Robert Kelleghan, Declan Nolan, Mary Hannon, Fionnuala Hickey, Marie McDermott, James Murphy, Cathal Swords, Declan Gorman, Patricia McManus, John Glennon who also organised the draw or any other committee member. All proceeds from the tickets goes to the club.
Clubs have the opportunity to ease their burden of the levy which clubs have to pay for the refurbishment of O’Connor Park which is now recognised as one of the small stadiums in the county. The Rhode Club levy is €3,500. To ease the burden the county board with the approval of all clubs the following scheme is now in place.
Clubs who can get members and none members to purchase the Offaly GAA Lotto for the year which includes them in 52 draws for €90. For each person who purchases the lotto for the year €90 will be deducted off the club levy. People wishing to purchase the lotto for the year which helps the club to ease to burden of the levy please contact either of the following.
Club Chairman James Murphy 086 820 8057
Club PRO John Glennon 087 2715 804
Sympathy is extended to the Slevin family of Kilcormac on the death of their mother Maura whose remains were interred in Kilcormac cemetery on Saturday. The deceased was the wife of former well known GAA official Mick Slevin (RIP) and was mother of the current secretary of Kilcormac/Killoughey GAA Club Deloras Slevin. May she Rest In Peace. Sympathy is also extended to the Hanley of Coologue Daingean and Coole Groghan on the death of Vincent whose remains were interred in Daingean on Thursday.
Get well wishes is extended to all the people of the parish who are ill or hospitalised at the moment special wishes to Danny Mangan who is seriously ill and we all wish Danny a complete recovery. It is also great to see former Rhode and Offaly player Charlie Conroy out and about again.